The Ralph Stanley Museum
ABOUT THE MUSEUM
The Ralph Stanley Museum & Traditional Mountain Music Center provides a truly unique, interactive experience. Visitors can see and hear traditional American mountain music in its original setting - the beautiful mountains of southwestern Virginia.
The museum opened its doors in 2004 with the mission of preserving and promoting traditional, Appalachian mountain and Bluegrass music, not only through its exhibits, but also through workshops, seminars and conventions. The Ralph Stanley Museum is one of The Crooked Road venues, which is a Virginia Heritage Music Trail celebrating the unique musical heritage of the region.
Even if you’ve already been touched by the music of Ralph Stanley, you haven’t fully experienced it until you’ve journeyed into the heart of Appalachia.
Museum exhibits highlight the career and musical influences of Ralph Stanley & the Stanley Brothers.
LOCATION & DIRECTIONS
The Ralph Stanley Museum & Traditional Mountain Music Center is located in a century-old four-story home in Clintwood, Virginia. The street address is 249 Main Street, Clintwood, VA 24228.
Click here for a map and turn-by-turn directions.
A two-bedroom lodging suite is located on the third floor of the museum. It can be rented as a suite or by the bedroom and features a king-size bed in each room as well as a shared kitchen space and sitting area. No smoking or pets allowed.
Nightly Rates: 1 Bedroom – $100.00 plus tax, 2 Bedrooms – $190.00 plus tax.
Phone: (276) 926-8550 OR (276) 926-5591
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 456, Clintwood, VA 24228
Clintwood Operated Facilities
The Town of Clintwood operates the Ralph Stanley Museum Lodging, the Clintwood Community Center and the Community Picnic Shelter. For reservations, please contact Lisa Deel at 276-926-8383 ext. 301 or Judy Steele at 276-926-8383 ext. 302.
Museum Lodging (Nightly Rates)
1 Bedroom – $100.00 plus tax
2 Bedroom – $190.00 plus tax
Wedding Reception or Class Reunion – $200.00
Parties, Family Reunions, Christmas Dinners – $100.00
Church events, Fire & Rescue events – $75.00
A $50.00 refundable deposit is required.
$50.00 per event.
For more information about any of these facilities, contact Town Hall at 276-926-8383.
Phipps Memorial Cemetary
If you have any questions about the Phipps Memorial Cemetery or would like to purchase a plot, please contact the Town Hall at 276-926-8383. The cost per plot is $800.
Clintwood, VA - Area Attractions
- Ralph Stanley Museum - an interactive museum experience that provides visitors with a glimpse of American mountain music in its original setting - the mountains of Southwestern Virginia. Learn how Dr. Ralph Stanley's career and style was influenced both by his surroundings and traditional musical influences.
- Dickenson County Art Center & Gallery - a gallery and art center featuring original works of art created by local artists.
- Mountain Music Festival - held during each Autumn, the festival offers the best in bluegrass and mountain music as well as craft displays, cake walks and other festivities.
- Birch Knob Tower - located 3,144 feet above sea level, making the trek up Birch Knob Tower is well worth it for the amazing views.
- Dickenson County Visitor’s Center & Dr. Phipps Museum - stop by for brochures, maps and regional information. Helpful staff can provide directions and answer visitors’ questions about the area. The Dr. Phillips Museum is located inside the visitor's center and hosts a variety of medical memorabilia from the original Dickenson County Hospital.
- Dickenson County Chamber of Commerce - also located in the Dickenson County Visitor's Center, the Chamber of Commerce is a business organization working to further the interests of businesses and business owners in the community.
- Dickenson County Courthouse - an historic, two-story courthouse built in 1915, in the Colonial Revival building style, including a domed clock tower. The Dickenson County Courthouse is on the Historic Register - it's a must see!
- Dickenson County Historical Society - many visitors interested in their own family history, or additional area history, stop by the historical society. It is a volunteer organization with hours subject to availability, so please call ahead!
Clintwood, VA - Area Parks & Campgrounds
- Kids Korner - a popular playground area with a covered picnic area. This is a great location for birthday parties, family events and fun for all ages.
- Walking Park - a walking track and park that is home to numerous local events and seasonal festivities.
- Breaks Interstate Park - known as the Grand Canyon of the South. This is a must-see park!
- Bear Pen Recreation Area - includes a pool, playground, park, picnic shelters, a walking/running track, an activity field, and access to licensed fishing in Pound River.
- Cranes Nest River Camping/Recreation Area - features a boat ramp, nature trails, playground.
- Jefferson National Forest - packed full of outdoor recreation opportunities, the breathtaking Jefferson National Forrest is a prime location for hiking, mountain biking, camping, fishing, bird watching, horseback riding, cross-country skiing, and more.
- Lower Twin Campground - a camping and recreational location with a playground and boat ramp.
- Pound River Campground - this scenic campground within the John Flannagan Dam & Recreation Area provides multi-purpose trails, shoreline campsites, a playground area, boating access, and more.
- Phipps Family Memorial Park - a memorial park dedicated to the Phipps family, featuring a water fountain, brick walking path, and seasonal flowers.
- John W. Flanagan Dam and Reservoir - this area offers endless outdoor activities, including boating, camping, fishing, hiking, picnicking, a playground, water sports, and wildlife viewing.